segunda-feira, 31 de maio de 2010

Today I walked into the sunset – to mail some letters -... But some way or other I didn’t seem to like the redness much so after I mailed the letters I walked home – and kept walking - The Eastern sky was all grey blue – bunches of clouds – different kinds of clouds – sticking around everywhere and the whole thing – lit up – first in one place – then in another with flashes of lightning – sometimes just sheet lightning – and some times sheet lightning with a sharp bright zigzag flashing across it -. I walked out past the last house – past the last locust tree – and sat on the fence for a long time – looking – just looking at – the lightning – you see there was nothing but sky and flat prairie land – land that seems more like the ocean than anything else I know – There was a wonderful moon. Well I just sat there and had a great time by myself – Not even many night noises – just the wind -... I wondered what you were doing - It is absurd the way I love this country – Then when I came back – it was funny – roads just shoot across blocks anywhere – all the houses looked alike – and I almost got lost – I had to laugh at myself – I couldn’t tell which house was home - I am loving the plains more than ever it seems – and the SKY – Anita you have never seen the SKY – it is wonderful –
Georgia O'Keeffe, Canyon, Texas, letter to Anita Pollitzer, September 11, 1916